General Medicine is a special branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis and medical management of various diseases.
- It includes training in primary patient care and is the foundation for vital super specialties such as Cardiology, Neurology, Nephrology, etc.
- This department provides the much sought after outpatient and inpatient services apart from providing comprehensive support to the intensive care units.
- The department focuses on the method of micro-teaching, where one faculty member is allotted to a small batch of students. This allows for greater student-teacher interaction, and provides an edge in learning.
- Students get to learn about the vital systems of the body as well as basics of patient care right from proper history taking, clinical examination, clinical diagnosis and appropriate plan of management.
- Students also get adequate exposure to minor OPD based procedures and techniques which are essential in day to day practice of medicine.
- For PG residents, problem-based learning approach forms the backbone of their training. Under seniors faculties’ guidance they also actively participate in diagnosis, management & overall decision making process of the patient.