It is the medical specialty devoted to the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of mental, emotional and behavioral disorders.
- The department in broad sense covers all conditions which include various maladaptations related to mood, behaviour, cognition, and perceptions.
- Apart from general psychiatry, the expertise of faculty is extended to child and adolescent psychiatry, deaddiction and psychosexual disorders.
- Successful attempts are made by the department to increase awareness in the society about normal mental health and deviations from that if any.
- The department also heads psychological counseling cell for addressing the problems of undergraduate and postgraduate students and provide most appropriate plan of management.
- Undergraduates get orientation to various psychiatric disorders by attending clinics. They mostly learn through observation and discussions.
- At the postgraduate level, students are required to undertake primary patient care and look after both outpatients and inpatients. They are also encouraged to undertake various research projects and present them at national/international levels.